Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Epic Fail -- Peaceful Parenting Week 2 Challenge : Breathe



Welcome to the Peaceful Parenting Challenge Blog Carnival: Week #2- Mindful Breathing.
This post was written for inclusion in the 10 Week Peaceful Parenting Challenge Blog Carnival hosted by Prenatal to Parenting. This week our participants have written about creating awareness. We hope you enjoy this week’s posts and consider joining us next week when we share about a week of Practicing Mindfulness.

This week's challenge was meditation/breathing exercise.  I failed miserably because I didn't really do it.  Sure there is merit to this practice. I first learned it in Religious Studies 101, when the prof had the University President come and teach us these breathing exercises.  I have never really been one for meditation or sitting still while "doing nothing".  I can sit and read, or sit and watch TV, or sit and watch my kids, but sitting and breathing.  Just breathing, has never been my thing. 

Also this week was a little different as I wasn't really home for most of it. I was away from my children for 3 days by myself.  This is not the first time that I have been away from my children as hubby and I took a weekend in Vegas, and also the children had extensive NICU stays, so it wasn't "wierd" nor was it freeing either.  I was dealing with family issues as I went to my childhood home to help my mother pack up what was left and either ship it to my place back in BC or take to Salvation Army.  It was complicated by the advent of my sister's family of 5.  Don't get me wrong, I love them. But what I thought would be a quiet reflective, nostaglic weekend as I say goodbye to the house and province where I grew up, went very very different.  

There were many a time when I did have to stop and breathe to calm myself before saying something, or doing something.  I was also sick having caught a sinus cold (which I am prone to) shortly before leaving for my jaunt across the country, and I'm still sick although better. Stress and sickness do not go well together.  Breathing exercises when you are stuffed up are even more fun, (sarcasm), but necessary when dealing with family dynamics.  I don't really have the fortune of dealing with family dynamics from my maternal family, as much as I do with my in laws, as I don't live on the side of the country with my family, but rather with his.  So add the stress of moving, being sick, closing a chapter in one's life, tension with sisters who have their own agenda but don't tell the other what that is, trying to be supportive of your mother while dealing with your own stuff, and well... the breathing exercises were necessary but at times difficult to complete because your mind wandered far too often for your liking to calm down.  Who knows?  maybe week 3 I will master the meditation stuff, especially when your kid cries that she is thirsty and then after 2 sips dumps the milk on the carpeted floor that you just had shampooed 2 weeks prior.   



Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants:
Teaching My Spirited Son About Deep Breathing – Sarah from Prenatal to Parenting shares some ways to teach kids about deep breathing.
Deep Breathing Challenge Ricky at Daddy Blogger has been practicing and will be putting his deep breathing to the test on his family trip. 
Just Breathe - Peaceful Parenting Challenge - Week 2 - Katrina from Kalem Photography goes up against her incessant need to be busy.
Remember to Breathe – Jennifer from The Children’s Directory discovers how breathing can work with parents-in-laws, friends, partners, co-workers and annoying neighbours as well as children.
 Week 2 & Epic Fail -Amanda from Family and Baby Sign Language discovers how challenging it is to find a few minutes to herself.
Breathing On  – Verena from Memory Maker Events talks the difference mindful breathing made in her busy days.
Week #2 Peaceful Parenting Challenge - Michelle from My Peaceful Parenting models deep breathing for her sons.
 

No comments: